RE: MD generalised propositional truths

From: Paul Turner (paul@turnerbc.co.uk)
Date: Wed Jul 20 2005 - 10:46:03 BST

    David,

    >mechanism.
    >
    >David:
    >I think that 'Quality' is the organising principle of intellect, in fact I
    >think that it is the organising principle of all the levels. I'll certainly
    >agree with the mechanism though. :)

    Paul: Yes, static quality is the organising principle of all levels but the
    static values that hold one level together are completely different from the
    values that hold other levels together. I am proposing that truth is the
    static quality that holds the intellectual level together, and in
    particular, what I have called generalised propositional truths - the
    platitudes and "institutions" of intellect - are central to each "web of
    belief," the sum total of which comprises the intellectual level.

    I'm trying to offer a distinction between the social level and the
    intellectual level and it occurred to me that there has to be a particular
    organising element as there is at each level. The hierarchical structures
    of knowledge Pirsig talks about chimed in the webs of beliefs of Quine and
    Rorty as a candidate.

    So there were beliefs, of course, at the social level, but as part of
    stories and rituals (the purpose of which is social cohesion), not as part
    of an intricate structure of generalised beliefs existing in complex
    justificatory relationships in their own right. Once beliefs started to
    arrange into these structures, as was exemplified in the west in the
    Platonic dialogues and Aristotelian categorisation, I think we can see
    intellect going its own way into new static structures of its own.

    Once the Sophists were pushed aside the intellectual dream has always seemed
    to have been the attempt to build one perfect web but I think Pirsig (and
    many others) have shown that firstly, each web is built on a particular
    social base, and secondly, that there are many competing webs and this is
    good in an evolutionary context. Even as individuals I don't think we have
    one consistent web of beliefs.

    >David:
    >Statically speaking, I think the 'truths' which change the most often are
    >those
    >which we value the least. Moreover, the truths which change the least are
    >those
    >which we value the most. In Zen Buddhism and other oriental philosophies,
    >it's
    >shown that this attachment to these values causes suffering and can be
    >overcome
    > by meditation or another similar means that bring one back much closer to
    >Dynamic
    >Quality, the here and now, and away from the complicated, old, static
    >patterns.

    Paul: Agreed.

    >Moreover, to me a 'belief' is a relic of religion. As Pirsig says
    >eloquently
    >"Quality is not something you believe in, Quality is something you
    >experience."

    Paul: Well, translate belief into "static intellectual pattern." I'm not
    too concerned over whether "beliefs" or "ideas" or "thoughts" or "memes" is
    the best word. I used belief as a way to connect to a Quinean/Rortyan
    pattern which I happen to like.

    >> Or we may just unstitch, and
    >> thus erase, a whole range of beliefs and desires - we may stop having
    >> attitudes toward sentences which use a certain word (the word "God," or
    >> "phlogiston," for example)....
    >
    >This time he claims they're completely erased, just like that! If he had
    >said
    > we can "erase" them by getting them perfect then I would agree, he seems
    >think ideas just dissapear for no darn reason.

    Paul: I think the reason is that some patterns just lose their value in
    terms of their position in the web. I think his use of the word "God"
    alongside "phlogiston" creates a certain reaction to the notion of erasure
    here. "The earth is flat" seems like a good candidate for erasure to me,
    for example. Would you want to get that pattern perfect?

    >I don't think that 'shoving static patterns around' causes the creation of
    >Dynamic Quality as is implied here. As we know, Dynamic Quality is the
    >source
    >of all things.

    Paul: yes but I see Dynamic Quality as part of what Rorty calls the
    environment - the intrusion of new values which produce new intellectual
    patterns to be weaved in.

    Regards

    Paul