Re: MD Intellect as Consciousness

From: ian glendinning (psybertron@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Jul 26 2005 - 03:13:21 BST

    Mark,

    (1) I completely agree. "Darwinian" evolution is much more subtle than
    many seem to think. There has been 150 years of evolution of that idea
    since Darwin (and Wallace). Anyone who hasn't read neo-Darwinists
    Dawkins, Gould, Goodwin, Jones and Dennett to name a few is likely to
    be under-informed. But it's not rocket-science and no-one has
    exclusive ownership of the ideas, which brings us to (2)

    (2) I mentioned in response to Platt, the balance between individual
    creativity (genius or accident, or forced natural move) and the
    static-latching (creation of a new species of idea) in culture and
    shared intellect. Platt made a quip about everyone needing a marketing
    man, and I say many a true word spoken in jest. Many ideas may have
    near identitical creation in many different brains, but it's the
    people who coin the phrases that stick (with or without the help of a
    marketing agent) that get remembered in history. Evolution is a
    "historical narrative" of reality, (written by the winners, who
    therefore deem themselves somehow special) which is why it's hard to
    get theists and logicians to take it seriously as predictive, causal
    truth. But truth it is.

    Ian