Re: MD Tat Tvam Asi, Campbell and Theosis ('experience' in the MoQ)

From: Sam Norton (elizaphanian@kohath.wanadoo.co.uk)
Date: Mon Aug 22 2005 - 10:04:33 BST

    Hi Erin,

    > In this quote the words "THE MOQ experience" stuck out to me......would
    > this be evidence of thinking mysticisms possess a common core? That is it
    > legitimate to talk about it in a singular sense? It seems like it would
    > be easier to apply if we talk about it as continuous events....easier in
    > the sense to apply it to everyday life which seems to be a series of
    > moments not just a afterthought to one big moment.

    My view is that Pirsig takes over James' understanding of mystical
    "experience", and uses it as the ground for the MoQ. So yes, he does accept
    a 'common core'. Which is what DMB faithfully defends - and he is right to
    do so, in so far as he is authentically reproducing Pirsig's view.

    I just think Pirsig (and therefore DMB) is wrong :o)

    Sam