Re: MD Philosophy and Theology

From: Elizaphanian (elizaphanian@tiscali.co.uk)
Date: Fri Mar 28 2003 - 17:28:11 GMT

    Hi Rick,

    > RICK
    > Okay. So to you "Religion" = Theology + Church. It sounds to me then like
    > you're thinking of "theology" as the actual doctrine of a religion rather
    > than a study of religious doctrine....
    > Well, I guess it depends on how you use the word "theology". If it's
    taken
    > to reflect the actual doctrine of a religion (a part of the religion) as
    you
    > like it, then you'd be right in saying the relationship was not an
    objective
    > one. I've always thought thought of Theology as the objectification of
    > religious doctrines and practices for study (that's how they taught it up
    at
    > Cornell). It's just a semantic thing I guess.

    That's precisely right (as a description of how I see it). So what did you
    get taught at Cornell? I would have thought we need to distinguish theology,
    comparative religion and philosophy of religion, and I would say that
    theology is what the religious community says about itself, comparative
    religion compares and contrasts theologies, and philosophy of religion
    abstracts concepts from theology in order to analyse them. They're all on
    the intellectual level.

    How does that sound?

    Sam

    "When we speak of God we do not know what we are talking about. We are
    simply using language from the familiar context in which we understand it
    and using it to point, beyond what we understand, into the mystery that
    surrounds and sustains the world we do partially understand" (Herbert
    McCabe)