Re: MD Undeniable Facts

From: johnny moral (johnnymoral@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon May 05 2003 - 19:06:16 BST

    Hi Phyllis,

    I think my original reply to you was never sent.

    You're right about earlier non-conformists, those are good examples.

    And I'm glad you love Edwards, "Sinners..." is some great imagery. Have you
    come across his philosophical stuff he did as a teenager, when he was at
    Yale in 1720? That's when he thought about ontology and the nature of
    being, before he became a pastor and srote his sermons. After the
    Northhamptom congregation kicked him out (perhaps the turning point of
    turning points in American culture, when Pelagianism and a private
    relationship with God started pushing out public morality. Northhamptom to
    this day maintains its nonconformist, self-righteous character) he went back
    to philosophy again, writing Freedom of the Will in western Mass, before he
    moved to become president of Princeton and caught a cold and died. if you
    can find James Carse's book on Edwards called "The Visibility Of God", I
    recommend that one the most, for its treatment of Edwards failure to save
    America from the lasting effects of a private morality. That's why I love
    Lila so much, though it pulls its punch and doesn't connect the dots, it
    almost restores morality to its full importance.

    regarding the morality of reformers, they usually are either at the
    intersection of two cultures, helping to control the merging of moralities
    (and thus figuring out how to be is moral as possible, but necessarily being
    immoral in some regard in both cultures), or they are helping to reconcile
    intersecting moral patterns in one culture that have developed over time.
    They start out being immoral in some regards, using persuation to convince
    people to change their normal behavior by pointing to other elements of
    morality. They convince people over time that most people would behave in a
    new way for some moral reason, but they have to be able to give an accepted
    moral reason as their persuation for people's wills to change, they can't
    just do it with force or extortion.

    johnny