Re: MD The Eudaimonic MoQ

From: Elizaphanian (elizaphanian@tiscali.co.uk)
Date: Fri May 23 2003 - 15:06:44 BST

    Hi Wim, (also a note to Bo if he's reading),

    : You wrote 19 May 2003 12:30:46 +0100:
    : 'I think "eudaimonic" is a more fruitful description of level 4, ie it's not
    : just that I don't like the standard account - even if these flaws in the
    : standard account were overcome, I would still prefer a "eudaimonic"
    : description.'
    :
    : So our discussion should shift to your reasons for preferring your version
    : of the MoQ (contrary to your essay, which was structured as: standard
    : account > problems > solution > possible arguments against that solution).

    Possibly, but only if we exhaust the 'problems' side first. I think if all the problems I perceive
    in the 'standard' MoQ were removed, then I would simply shut up about eudaimonia... A discussion of
    why would not necessarily be relevant in this forum, and I think you're familiar enough with my
    wider views to understand why I have the preferences that I do.

    : You gave a hint with:
    : 'one of the things I most like about the "eudaimonic" thesis, [is] clarity
    : with regard to ethical motivations'.
    :
    : Aren't you talking about 'morality' in the old, SOM-ruled sense here? I.e.
    : 'morality' only in the sense of 'values ruling/guiding individual
    : behavior/actions' and not in the sense of 'values constituting
    : reality/experience'?

    Partly, yes. I think my thesis provides more clarity (for me) about types of morality/ethics. I
    don't claim (which you seem to imply) that such things govern the whole.

    : Your replied 19 May 2003 12:30:46 +0100 with 'OK' to my:
    : 'The reality we try to describe is our experience and the fact that
    : sometimes we do NOT experience subject-object (or even subject-subject)
    : differentiation indicates (and -if we rule out delusion- proves) that
    : descriptions requiring choosing/acting subjects are false.'
    :
    : I have the slight impression that your Eudaimonic MoQ DOES require
    : choosing/acting subjects to be intelligible...

    Only in part. I've been thinking that my way of constructing level 4 really does tie in with Bo's
    SOLAQI thesis, ie it is only when you have a sense of self that you get subject/object thinking -
    and therefore, large parts of level 4 are constructed around SOM. (Note to Bo - I still have qualms
    about SOLAQI, but with regard to the I bit, not the SO bit). What I don't believe (or argue for) is
    to say that level 4 governs the whole system. Rather the opposite.

    : You 19 May 2003 12:30:46 +0100 summarized your view on the distinction
    : between 3rd and 4th level most succinctly in:
    : 'I see the distinction being defined by the emergence of a static pattern of
    : (level 3) values that is able to dissent from the dominant patterns which
    : created it, and thereby 'go off on patterns of its own' - I call this the
    : autonomous individual.'
    :
    : This seems muddy to me: A 3rd level pattern of value (not 'values' in my
    : view!) that is created by other 3rd level patterns of value??? And you mean
    : 'go off on purposes of its own'. So the same 'choosing unit' can latch both
    : 3rd level patterns of value (before 'going off ...') and 4th level patterns
    : of value (afterwards)??

    It's a 'machine language interface'. As I recall your using that imagery yourself, and then, when
    criticised for it, pointing out its origin in Lila, I don't see why it's "muddy". Although perhaps
    I'm not clear - again. :-(

    It's good to talk!

    Sam