MD date of homo sapiens

From: Elizaphanian (elizaphanian@tiscali.co.uk)
Date: Thu Jun 12 2003 - 16:00:19 BST

    Hi all,

    Saw this interesting article, about a 'homo sapiens' skull dated 160,000 years ago.

    http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/2003/06/11_idaltu.shtml

    Does anyone know the precise relationship between such a species and our own (ie the difference
    between hom sap and 'homo sapiens sapiens'), and, in particular, when 'homo sapiens sapiens'
    stabilised in biological terms?

    (I think it may shed some light on our conversations about levels, amongst other things).

    Sam