Re: MD Automatic or standard transmission?

From: Pi (pi@mideel.ath.cx)
Date: Fri Jun 20 2003 - 05:07:35 BST

    On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 SQUONKSTAIL@aol.com wrote:

    > I would appreciate your thoughts on my theory about shifting of static
    > patterns. Thoughts from people who drive standard transmission regularly
    > would also be appreciated. ;)
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > - Pi
    >
    > Hi Pi,
    > Only a complete fool would answer this.
    > In my view stick shifting is a more Dynamic relationship between car and
    > driver. (The gear stick is never very far away from the car's centre of gravity i
    > believe?)
    > Here is my driving tip for stick divers: Place your hand on the stick before
    > using the clutch. If you change your mind and decide no change is necessary,
    > you simply take your hand off the stick. Clutching simultaneously with hand -
    > on - stick movement commits you.
    > You can do other things also, like lots of engine breaking when its
    > appropriate: Hand on stick, clutch, rev engine way up while simultaneously lowering
    > gear(s), bring clutch in smoothly simultaneous hand back on wheel. Great fun when
    > you get into it.
    > Happy driving,
    > squonk.

    Hi squonk (and all),

    Thanks for the very valuable driver's point of view, but I was hoping for
    a more MoQ related response.

    Maybe I should have stressed on the idea of automaticity of patterns more
    than the application of that idea. My driving dilemma is nothing but an
    excuse to dig deeper into the idea of static intellectual patterns
    becoming automatic as we become proficiant in them. We all have probably
    heard the statement:

        "It's like riding a bike. Once you learn it, you never forget."

    To me that says "Once a static intellectual pattern becomes too static (if
    there is such a thing), it is not an intellectual pattern anymore".
    Psychologists would probably say that the "sub-conscious" is responsible
    for this, but I don't value that term.

    I would be interested to know the forums' thoughts on this phenomenon.

    Cheers,

    - Pi