Re: MD Automatic or standard transmission?

From: johnny moral (johnnymoral@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Jun 20 2003 - 05:21:23 BST

    Hi Pi,

    Funny, I was just driving home ten minutes ago, feeling exhilherated with
    the way i could get my little four cylinder toyota to jump off the line with
    just the right mixing of clutch and gas, leaving the other cars biting my
    dust. And I started thinking about what is usually just a unthinking
    clutch/gas movement. I could have just doen it the unthinking way (read:
    driven reasonably), but I decided to try to do it perfectly, maximizing my
    acceleration, without any tire slippage or squal or bogging down the engine.
      So even after the movements become zen to you (I've been driving standards
    for 20 years) there is still more to perfect, more to think about. More to
    shift to the biological level from the intellectual.

    I think you are hitting on the "ritual is the way to see quality (and keep
    seeing quality)" topic. And it made me realize that even zen monks who seem
    to have gotten their lives totally shifted over into almost biological
    patterns still have stuff to think about, they get to think about getting
    even better at the things they do. It never occured to me as I watched
    monks pray, but maybe they are trying to perfect it? I thought they were
    just trying to internalize it so they could forget it and think about other
    things, by making as much invisible about their daily lives as possible.
    Making it invisible is analogous to making it biological. But, as I
    experienced tonight, there's still more to see, more to think about, in
    perfecting things, getting better. Not all the time, but every once in a
    while, when they want to feel exhilerated.

    Johnny

    ps: yeah buy a standard. the only downside is taliking on a cell phone and
    drinking a coffee at the same time you have to shift, but if no one is in
    the other lane, it is worth it.