MD Automatic or standard transmission?

From: Pi (pi@mideel.ath.cx)
Date: Thu Jun 19 2003 - 23:33:30 BST

    Hello all. Curious about the subject line? :) Don't worry, this message is
    not off-topic.

    I am in the process of thinking which car to purchase when the time of
    purchase rolls by. I typically plan important purchases to death and this
    is no exception. So, I am looking at a certain sporty car, thinking if I
    should go for an automatic transmission or just the standard, and I found
    myself applying MoQ, as usual. Before I continue, let me point out that I
    have absolutely no experience driving a standard transmission car. But I
    am considering it because of the fun factor.

    I was wondering what happens when I usually drive. After a certain
    learning stage is over, I never consciously think about the actions I do
    while driving the car. I do not think about braking, turning, signaling,
    etc. Heck, when driving down a regular path, I don't even think of the
    direction. It is like I am a passenger and the driver at the same time.
    I would think that the intellectual patterns of how to drive a car have
    slowly shifted away from being intellectual patterns to some lower static
    pattern (perhaps biological)! It is just like walking or openning a door.
    Once you have 'become good' at doing those things, you automatically do
    them. You don't have to think about them. In fact, as an experiment, try
    to think about every little movement you do while openning a door and then
    do it. You may find that you forget steps! It happens to me.

    Getting back to the car... my thought is that just like how driving an
    automatic car, walking, closing and openning a door etc. have become
    non-intellectual static patterns for me, over some time, why wouldn't a
    standard transmission car become a non-intellectual pattern either?
    Someone suggested that standard cars are annoying to drive through heavy
    traffic (because of the amount of shifting), but so is walking through a
    crowd if you think about every little movement you take.

    I would appreciate your thoughts on my theory about shifting of static
    patterns. Thoughts from people who drive standard transmission regularly
    would also be appreciated. ;)

    Cheers,

    - Pi

    --
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.
    MOQ.ORG  - http://www.moq.org