Re: MD The Transformation of Love

From: Valence (valence10@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Jun 25 2003 - 14:58:41 BST

    Hey Johnny and all,
    Let me preface this response by reminding you that this equation of the
    troubadour's ideas about love with Sam's Eudiamonic MoQ is as of yet just
    the most experimental kind of conjecture. The questions and comments you
    are raising have been helpful in flushing the theory out. Thanks. Now I
    hope you don't mind if I think "out-loud" a bit in this post....

    JOHNNY
    > Weren't Bonnie And Clyde madly in love but not very compassionate?

    RICK
    Well they certainly weren't in a league with Gandhi but neither were they
    totally without compassion. Here is an excerpt from
    www.chromehorse.net/movies/bonnie2.htm - evaluating the historical
    accuracy of the Warren Beatty "Bonnie and Clyde" movie....

    "The movie suggests that Bonnie and Clyde only killed when they had to. The
    known facts generally support this view, including the sensational
    kidnapping of the "Eugene and Thelma", who were left unharmed on the side of
    the road after travelling with the Barrow gang for several days. The Barrow
    gang did indeed provide them with food, and even gave them money to pay for
    a ride home. Several police officers were also captured and released
    unharmed. When cornered, however, Clyde was deadly, as he was determined to
    die himself rather than return to prison, under any circumstances."

    So even Bonnie and Clyde weren't totally without compassion. Oliver Stone's
    caricaturish, mass-murdering lovers Mickey and Mallory Knox from "Natural
    Born Killers" are probably a better portrait of what compassion-less lovers
    might look like. Although even they recognized compassion in a scene where
    they are lost in the desert and an old Indian man (the only really noble
    character in the whole film) takes them in and gives them food and shelter;
    Mickey freaks out on a mushroom trip and shoots the old man; Mallory
    instantly recognizes the evil in the act lamenting, "He took us in...".

    Moreover, though I am still interested in Sam's notion that all the loves
    must be 'satisfied' in order, I can't help but note that in the MoQ, the
    patterns of different levels are supposed to be in conflict to a certain
    extent. This would suggest a sense in which romantic love may be the enemy
    of compassion, and compassion the enemy of lust... however, just like with
    the rest of this speculation, I haven't really thought this all through yet,
    so anything you may have to contribute would, naturally, be appreciated.

    JOHNNY
    > I think that we may have blown up modern romantic love out of a biological
    > love that was just as profound and one on one but not sung about yet, like
    > we blew civil society up out of social norms that were not codified yet.

    RICK
    Maybe. I think the MoQ would suggest that patterns "love" because it's good
    for them in some ultimate sense. That is, I think that love just comes with
    the territory. Biological patterns value lust because it improves the odds
    of reproduction. Social patterns value compassion because it improves the
    odds of cooperation. Individuals value romantic love because... well, I'm
    not pretentious enough to disrespect 1000 years of poets and artists by
    trying to answer this one on the fly. "Why do they fall in love?" I'm not
    entirely sure why... but I'm pretty sure it somehow makes stronger,
    healthier individuals.

    I'm going to think about this some more.

    take care
    rick

    Tell me whom you love and I will tell you who you are. - Houssaye