Re: MD The Transformation of Love

From: Elizaphanian (elizaphanian@tiscali.co.uk)
Date: Sat Jun 28 2003 - 19:31:26 BST

    Hi Platt,

    You said:

    > I follow Pirsig's line that the social level applies only to humans, not
    > animals. I also follow his line that intellectual patterns were present at
    > the beginning of the social level and in fact were necessary for the
    > social level to survive. So I agree that the social level first separated
    > us from the animals. Symbol-making is the Rosetta stone for identifying
    > humans and the primary requirement for the emergence of levels three and
    > four.

    and
    Humanity without intellect is a bunch of monkeys. The ability to collect
    and manipulate symbols that stand for patterns of experience (Pirsig's
    definition of intellect) distinguishs man from ape, plus a few genes.

    Is it your view, then, that levels 3 and 4 evolved simultaneously (ie as soon as there was
    subjective awareness, or whatever it is that Pirsig uses to describe the difference between levels
    1/2 and levels 3/4)? So there was never a significant period of time when there were only level 3
    values?

    Sam

    "Phaedrus is fascinated too by the description of the motive of 'duty toward self' which is an
    almost exact translation of the Sanskrit word 'dharma', sometimes described as the 'one' of the
    Hindus. Can the 'dharma' of the Hindus and the 'virtue' of the Ancient Greeks be identical?" - The
    Eudaimonic MoQ says yes. "Lightning hits!"