Re: MD Intellectual patterns? huh?

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Sun Jul 13 2003 - 14:04:26 BST

    Hi Pi, All:

    >I personally took about 2 years to completely draw a boundary
    > around this thing called the intellectual pattern. Part of the whole
    > problem of intellectualizing intellectual patterns is that when you
    > try to draw a line around it, you have to draw a line around the line
    > drawing process!

    You've put your finger squarely on the nut of the problem. Until that
    infinite-regress paradox is addressed by each participant, intellectual
    descriptions of the intellectual level will continue to go around in
    circles without end.

    I have yet to find anyone who has made a clear distinction between
    intellectual patterns that belong in the intellectual level and those that
    don't. (Intuitive intellect is an oxymoron.). If there are intellectual
    patterns that don't belong, where do they go instead?

    I have also yet to find anyone who has offered a better definition of
    intellect than Pirsig's "manipulation of symbols." (Since that is the
    author's definition, I take it to be "Q-intellect.") Anyone have a better
    definition?

    Any takers?

    Platt

    Platt