Re: MD Philosophers and Poets

From: Scott R (jse885@spinn.net)
Date: Sun Jul 20 2003 - 20:46:03 BST

    Ian,

    While I grant that Adams pokes fun at those who think that science can
    explain everything, and that this makes him a kind of postmodernist, he is
    mainly poking fun at those who think that human life has some Purpose, hence
    the comic value of seeing a few billion years of evolution wiped out because
    some galactic committee wants a hyperspatial bypass. In other words, I
    disagree with your "ONLY IF".

    So what I am seeing is that Adams is a secular postmodernist, and secular
    postmodernism arises among those who have accepted a basic materialism and
    have taken it almost to its logical conclusion. In "history of intellect"
    terms, I see this as being the final stage of SOM. The way forward (in my
    opinion) is to drop the materialism, allowing for a spiritual postmodernism,
    in which it is just possible that human life does in fact have some Purpose,
    but we acknowledge that in our current stage we are pretty clueless about
    what it is. (Actually, I think we have a lot of clues, namely what mystics
    have to say, but since the word "ineffable" shows up all over the place, we
    can't say much about it except in paradoxical terms.) My arguments with Matt
    K about Rorty have been pretty much along these lines.

    - Scott