Re: MD Intellectual patterns? huh?

From: Scott R (jse885@spinn.net)
Date: Sun Jul 20 2003 - 20:42:53 BST

    Bo,

    I think this clarifies a lot, but I am not clear on what you are getting at
    when you say:

    "I simply can't understand the annotating Pirsig about the MOQ being a
    pattern of its own intellectual pattern"

    On the one hand, the MOQ is a set of static intellectual patterns (those
    expressed in the book LILA), or it is ... what? (Or maybe, I don't
    understand what the annotating Pirsig says. I see no immediate problem of
    regress with a static intellectual pattern being about static intellectual
    patterns. That is what logic studies.)

    I am also not convinced that SOL is the precise right term for the fourth
    level. I agree that one should not look for something that includes DQ, but
    I still see mathematics as not falling under SOL, other than if one hasn't
    learned to think in general with S/O logic, then one can't do mathematics.
    But in the doing of mathematics itself there are no subjects and objects, as
    there are when doing science or SOM philosophy. Overall, though, I think
    this exception is not that important, relative to the importance of the S/O
    divide.

    I am also of the opinion that the logic of contradictory identity, in so far
    as it is a logic, may be something that is undecidable as to whether or not
    it is a static intellectual pattern. Which is why I think it has salvific
    potential. It arises when one asks: how do DQ and SQ relate to each other
    and to Quality, and is as old as the Parmenides/Heraclitus encounter.

    - Scott