Re: MD A metaphysics

From: Michael Mathews (desperado1977@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Aug 17 2003 - 08:45:51 BST

    Matt Said:
    Michael is right, people do use different definitions to words. They use
    whatever definition works, is handy, feels right. Joe defined metaphysics
    as
    "the most basic things [we] know."
    and
    Wim wanted metaphysics to simply mean "one's deepest beliefs" which is
    basically
    what Joe, DMB, and Michael would like metaphysics to mean.

    I, Michael, think we need to be a little more careful when "assuming" what
    people hold to be there deepest beliefs. I do not define metaphysics to
    mean "one's deepest beliefs" in fact I went farther to define the word as
    simplistically as possible "the study of what is real". Maybe it's because
    I am a first time poster but before clustering my beliefs in with other
    people....well...refer to me first and I'll let you know. I have long been
    an advocate of keeping things simple. I am not an intellectual, nor do I
    wish to be. I am a thinker, and that definition, rather then intellectual
    (I believe) keeps me open to more things that may come along....okay we can
    even go with more dynamic. I did make a specific point that metaphysics to
    me is best left at it's simplest definition and working from there. Perhaps
    because it was my first post (and the fact I had been awake for 29 hours) I
    did not make this more clear. Metaphysics for me does not denote one type
    of belief it starts the beginnings of new belief. That's why for me the
    term "metaphysics" doesn't mean anything more then a philosophy 101 book
    states. I will go so far to point out that being a philosopher means only
    one thing for me "to love wisdom". That there are no prerequisite for
    something that can simply be loved or enjoyed. If we start getting
    complicated about that I personally wouldn't want to be part of it. So to
    clarify: Metaphysics to me is nothing more then a verbal tool that we use
    to define something in terms of what is or is not real. That's all! It
    doesn't become a belief system until one takes it in that direction. That's
    why I said metaphysics comes before belief. Just like a chunk of rock and a
    chisel come before a sculpture.

    I hope nobody thinks I took offense to this. It's pretty hard for me to
    take offense to something until somebody insults me, which has not been done
    here. My purpose for this clarification on this is because (and I am sure
    many of of thinkers run into this) when we have these discussions they
    become (especially on paper or e-text) static to the reader. Then we try to
    talk of our interests (here I mean our discussion) with friends who don't
    think about this stuff and we become disappointed from the lack of thought
    others put into it, and sometimes even hostility stems from this.

    I think this forum is great for us if we maintain respect and
    open-mindedness. I think agreeing to disagree (some of the most intesting
    people I've met have a friend that they love to disagreeant that's what
    keeps them friends) and dealing with it in a non-conflictive manner gives
    us all a great starting point for a dialectic.

    Have a good one all!

                                           Michael