MD Seeing Reality as Values

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Mon Sep 01 2003 - 15:52:42 BST

    Hi All,

    Comments in recent posts in other threads prompt me to start a new one.

    Bo:
    I "fall back" on speaking of subjects and subjectivity and objects and
    objectivity while keeping the overall MOQ "outlook" in mind.

    Paul
    What I'm suggesting is that by focussing observation on value and its
    manifestations (from quantum probability all the way through to
    economics to metaphysics etc.), it may be possible, in principle, to
    "measure" evolution in an entirely novel, yet more empirical way. This
    then avoids the evolutionary argument over "which came first?" by
    shifting the question to "which is more Dynamic?" Anyway, just a
    thought really, a purely hypothetical illustration of how seeing the
    world as value instead of substance might change basic premises of
    arguments.

    Platt says:
    Paul gives us a concrete example of how Bo's "MOQ outlook" works in a
    pragmatic way. In the history of this site we've had much discussion of
    what the MOQ means, but precious little about how it can change the
    meanings of our experiences. Paul's illustration is a case in point; by
    using the MOQ value perspective, evolution takes on a wholly different
    meaning.

    I think it would do us all good to know how others see the world
    differently as a result of using MOQ spectacles. It's been hard for me
    to switch from my trusty old SOM spectacles where A causes B to the MOQ
    perspective of B prefers condition A. I suspect others are in the same
    boat if for no other reason than so few concrete examples of how the
    MOQ changed one's personal worldview have been presented.

    So I appeal to all to share ways they now look at the world as a result
    of being persuaded by the MOQ compared to SOM ways, using Paul's
    illustration above as a model. In other words, the more specific, the
    better.

    The main change in outlook I've had is to deny any difference between
    fact and opinion. Since MOQ reality is values, and since values are
    part and parcel of direct experience, reality is opinion based on one's
    own experience. Solipsism is avoided by granting the opinions of others
    count.

    Thanks.
    Platt