Re: MD Dealing with S/O

From: abahn@comcast.net
Date: Wed Sep 24 2003 - 21:25:51 BST

    Hi Mark,

    You said: "While you [David M] and i agree with the MoQ, there are many who do
    not. I should urge those who do not agree with the MoQ to first state the MoQ
    position as it is before introducing their own terminology and/or challenging
    arguments. I feel this is a matter of intellectual integrity - anything else is
    unacceptable.

    Andy: I agree with the MOQ [in a sense]. There are many illuminating insights
    in Pirsig's philosophy. However, I really don't know how to state the MOQ
    position as it is. My take is that the MOQ is evolving. I have yet to come up
    with it's position as is. This seems to be one of the purposes of this
    discussion here. So, I am unsure what it is you are exactly asking for.

    My geuss is you would wish we would state what Pirsig said using his terminology
    and then build from there--noting the differences between our terminology and
    his. This seems to be something repeated by others here also. I think for the
    ones who have been around awhile, it is usually pretty easy to tell the
    difference. I don't think Bo should have to make this distinction every time he
    uses the term Q-intellect. It would be very repititious and boring if he did.
    To be hung up on such distinctions gets in the way of progressive discussions.
    If you could state the position of the MOQ as it is, then we might have
    something to start from. However, be warned, there is bound to be some
    discussion on whether or not this really is the position as it is. We all seem
    to be circling around this position without ever really nailing it's precise
    coordinates down.

    Regards,
    Andy