Re: MD Illusions--Richard Bach's creatures

From: abahn@comcast.net
Date: Wed Sep 24 2003 - 21:36:42 BST

    Hi David,

    Andy(previously): "The division between the social and intellectual level in
    this analogy would be extremely murky."

    DM: "Well if clinging on=SQ then the social level will be where there is a big
    group clinging on together."

    Andy: Yes, but this is only an analogy. I am not trying to give a definition of
    the social level. Just something to help us get a feel for it.

    DM: "I like this stream thing becuase it is a good image of DQ."

    Andy: Thanks. :o) I like it too!

    DM: "Perhaps a mystic is useful even if he swims off never to be seen again,
    others may be inspired by the possibility and give letting go a try."

    Andy: I don't think this would be a good thing. We do have problems in the
    material world and the social level that still need to be addressed. If
    everybody is swimming off into DQ, to never be heard from again, we will no
    longer have a social or an intellectual level. I follow Rorty when he says that
    the ability of Humans to cooperate in order to achieve common hopes is one of
    our defining and greatest traits. Thus, mystics need to eventually return to
    offer their experience in DQ to the rest of us. This is the only way the social
    and intellectual level can progress. And, ultimately, the only way humans will
    be able to survive. Unless survival is not the ultimate goal, then a mystic
    swimming off--never to be seen again--would not be useful to the rest of us.

    Thanks,
    Andy