Re: MD Begging the Question, Moral Intuitions, and Answering the Nazi, Part III

From: MATTHEW PAUL KUNDERT (mpkundert@students.wisc.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 17 2003 - 21:29:29 BST

    David said:
    Also, I have to say that a metaphysics of openness or even a pragmatic commitment to 'play' and irony, seems to me something that is only biologically, socially, culturally a possibility at this time. Clearly, in more dangerous times, in a period with no promise of epic productive powers, pople were bound to seek certainty and security, and hence SOM was a product of this. Now we can consider it. It goes along with the uniqueness of modern individuality. But dangers from global inequality, and the barbarism being exercised to maintain it.

    Matt:
    I certainly agree that the turn towards pragmatism is contingent upon, and of a dialectical piece with, Platonism's rise.

    Matt