Re: MD When is an interpretation not an interpretation?

From: Dan Glover (daneglover@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Nov 05 2003 - 19:21:05 GMT

    >From: "Joe" <jhmau@sbcglobal.net>
    >To: <moq_discuss@moq.org>
    >Subject: Re: MD When is an interpretation not an interpretation?
    >Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 11:51:50 -0800
    >

    >joe: i have been lurking and reading. Kudos to you and Matt for an
    >enlightening thread. Kudos also to Dan Glover for his efforts.
    >Congratualtions to Ant McWatt on his thesis.
    >
    >I have read Pirsig and Lila's Child, and I stand more in awe at the
    >revolution of thinking they foster. A philosophical outlook is emerging
    >which is kind and complete to my way of thinking. Thank You!

    Hi Joe

    You're welcome, and thank you! When I began the Lila's Child project in
    1999, I had no intention of actually publishing the book. I look back fondly
    on that first winter of culling posts from the archives and organizing them
    as best I could. I don't think I've ever had so much intellectual fun before
    that winter, or since. And I still find it rather unbelievable that Robert
    Pirsig just happened across the original Lila's Child website in the summer
    of 2000, and even more astounding that he liked it enough to write to Bodvar
    about it, finally offering to share his annotations.

    I was very pleased to see a reference to Hemmingway in Anthony McWatt's MOQ
    PhD Textbook. When everything seemed to be going wrong with the LC project
    (the book was actually called Lila's Daughter at that time) and confusion
    was the norm, I took time off and just happened to pick up A Moveable Feast
    (Hemmingway may not be my favorite author but he is in the top 10).

    When I read the passage Anthony cites: "All you have to do is write one true
    sentence. Write the truest sentence you know," I didn't take it to mean true
    as opposed to false, or accurate as opposed to inaccurate. I took it to mean
    that one sentence was just where it belonged. That may sound as if it is
    opposed to a sentence not belonging but no, that's not what I mean. A
    sentence belongs in the best place, and if an author finds the best place
    for a sentence, there is no alternative. That's what I think Hemmingway
    meant, and that's what I took to heart when I returned to work on Lila's
    Child. It's just knowing something is right, like when the name Lila's Child
    occurred to me.

    Thanks again for your support,

    Dan

    MSN Messenger with backgrounds, emoticons and more.
    http://www.msnmessenger-download.com/tracking/cdp_customize