Re: MD What makes an idea dangerous?

From: Valuemetaphysics@aol.com
Date: Wed Nov 05 2003 - 20:41:42 GMT

    > But no literature indicating
    > dominance of intellectual patterns, and that is why Pirsig indicates the
    > Bible as an example largely devoid of intellectual 'cultural' value -
    > but the Bible, in virtue of being the manipulation of symbols is, as a
    > matter of MoQ fact, composed of intellectual patterns (written
    > language). The language is socially directed, but writing, qua writing
    > is an intellectual activity. You, I, and Pirsig agree.

    Oh, oh. I'm confused again. Are you saying the Bible is a product of
    intellect but has no intellectual standing? Isn't that like saying the
    cave paintings are a product of thought but have no value in an
    intellectually dominated culture? Something seems wrong if that's the
    case. Or does beauty trump the intellectual?

    Hello Platt,
    We are helping each other here, and i appreciate your support.

    Although writing narrative is an intellectual activity, the social value of
    the Bible has changed, whereas writing narrative as an intellectual activity is
    more or less the same as when the Bible was first produced. (One may write
    Tensor short hand equations today, which are highly abstract and almost
    exclusively intellectual with virtually no social value, but writing them is no more
    complex than writing a, b, c, etc?)

    The trick is i feel to envision all value levels evolving simultaneously and
    virtually independently? At any one time the balance between the four levels
    is shifting and changing - with small currents and large tides. We must take
    particular circumstances and explore the evolutionary state of the prevailing
    currents and Tides?

    This may lead to apparent contradictions, but no more contradictory than the
    Scientist (Intellectual patterns) meeting his mistress (Organic patterns) in
    the seclusion of an out of town motel (social patterns).
    Throughout the day, Mr. Scientist is changing in value from high Intellectual
    and social patterning, (Great physicist, socially status in the scientific
    community via reputation for good published work), through low Social
    patterning, (cheating on his partner, abandoned marriage vows, what about the kids?
    lousy bastard wouldn't trust him as far as you could throw him), through to high
    Organic value, (Mistress, foxy undergraduate, unethical in a tutor, etc, etc.)

    As with the Scientist's day, so with millennial shifts and changes in
    cultures? Indeed, one may write a narrative of, 'A day in the life of Mr. X' and use
    it as an allegory of the last two thousand years if we wished? That may make
    for a good story?

    You brought in Beauty. Well, as you know, i agree with you in that Beauty is
    best in all our creative endeavours. Indeed, as any physicist worth his Salt
    would remind us, the best ideas are elegant, beautiful, and aesthetically
    pleasing. Quality.
    Mark