RE: MD Two theories of truth

From: David Buchanan (DBuchanan@ClassicalRadio.org)
Date: Sat Nov 08 2003 - 20:09:07 GMT

    Matt, Andy and all fair minded readers:

    DMB asked Matt:
    Can you tell me the difference between intersubjectively agreed upon
    attributes and subjective qualities?

    Matt evaded the question with:
    Various degrees of intersubjectivity is all that is left after you give up
    on the poles of "objective" and "subjective," as Pirsig himself does. To
    shunt "intersubjective agreement" under the old label of "subjective" is to
    miss the point.

    dmb asked Andy the same thing:
    I can't see how one can escape the
    conclusion that Rorty is saying that truth is merely subjective. He uses
    different terms, much fancier terms than that, but the idea is the same. Can
    you tell me the difference between intersubjectively agreed upon attributes
    and subjective qualities?"

    Andy refused to answer too:
    Matt has done that.

    dmb says:
    I honestly can't understand how either of you could possibly think you've
    answered the question. All Matt has done, once again, is to avoid the actual
    issue at hand and insult me instead. Why not answer the question. You deny
    that intersubjective properties are anything like subjective qualities, but
    you have provided exactly zero reasons for that denial. You simply assert
    it, without quotes, reasons, explanations or anything like an argument. And
    its not just that the word "intersubjective" contains the word "subjective".
    It seems to be what Rorty is describing in his theory of truth.