Re: MD Two theories of truth

From: David MOREY (us@divadeus.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Sat Nov 08 2003 - 21:36:35 GMT

    Rorty replies in Philosophy and the Mirror of Nature:

    "From Sartre's point of view, the urge to find such necessities
    is the urge to be rid of one's freedom to erect yet another alternative
    theory or vocabulary. Thus the edifying philosopher who points out the
    incoherence of the urge is treated as a "relativist", one who lacks
    moral seriousness, because he does not join in the common human
    hope that the burden of choice will pass away. ...we need... ...to think
    about science in such a way that its being a value-based enterprise
    occassions
    no surprise... "

    so he sees you coming. He talks less of truth than of agreement using
    the best methods we currently possess, he talks of person rather
    then the implies dualism of a subject, he does not talk about
    inter-subjective truth either. Why don't you list some true statements
    and we will take a look at how objective they are?

    regards
    David M