RE: MD Language in the MOQ

From: Paul Turner (paulj.turner@ntlworld.com)
Date: Thu Nov 13 2003 - 10:07:10 GMT

    Hi Platt, Bo

    Paul:
    > On a side note, Julian Jaynes has speculated that written language in
    > particular was a major influence on the development of human
    > consciousness as it is experienced today. I plan to explore this (in
    > relation to the MOQ) on the forum when I have a little more time, if
    you
    > are interested?

    Platt:
    I'm very interested in your views on the Jaynes theory of
    consciousness. I've just read Jaynes' paper on the subject, thanks to
    Bo's reference. Frankly, I found Jaynes' theory less than
    convincing...since it is based on flimsy evidence, like the absence of
    "I" in
    the narrative Iliad. (I just finished a novel by modern author Sydney
    Sheldon that contained not a single "I.") As for voices of gods, I
    subscribe to the much simpler (and IMO more plausible) explanation that
    Gods were invented to explain causes which were otherwise inexplicable
    to primitive man, like kids attributing thunder and lightning to Gods
    having a bowling game in the sky. Man, including primitive man, cannot
    survive when plagued by doubts. As a matter of necessity, Gods were
    invented, necessity being the mother of invention. Finally, to describe
    primitive man as suffering from auditory hallucinations like modern
    schizophrenics disturbs my sense of identity with patterns common to
    all human beings, reminding me of the stance taken by some who
    stereotype blacks as intellectually challenged. Again, the evidence
    Jaynes presents is skimpy IMO.

    Paul:
    There is much more to Jaynes' thesis than is contained in that paper,
    some of which may give you cause to reassess your (commonly accepted)
    explanation of gods. However, I'm not really trying to convince you to
    believe Julian Jaynes, I just found that his theory opened a new door
    onto some dusty old assumptions and seems generally in agreement with
    the MOQ. Bo has already pointed out some similarities between the
    historical interpretations proposed by Jaynes and Pirsig so I won't go
    further into it just yet.

    Platt:
    ..but would look
    forward to your analysis of language and the bicameral mind vis a vis
    the MOQ.

    Paul:
    In terms of MOQ levels it is my current belief that, historically,
    language began as a social pattern of communication and instruction
    which later evolved to provide a method for latching thoughts *as
    patterns of thoughts*, not as patterns of the socially learned behaviour
    that may arguably be accompanied by thought. This latching of
    intellectual patterns is possibly linked with the advent of writing
    which provided a means of preserving patterns of knowledge previously
    preserved by ritual and custom. Pirsig notes in Lila that:

    "Cavemen are usually depicted as hairy, stupid creatures who don't do
    much, but anthropological studies of contemporary primitive tribes
    suggest that stone age people were probably bound by ritual all day
    long. There's a ritual for washing, for putting up a house, for hunting,
    for eating and so on - so much so that the division between 'ritual' and
    'knowledge' becomes indistinct. In cultures without books ritual seems
    to be a public library for teaching the young and preserving common
    values and information." [LILA, p.442/443]

    And in Lila's Child he suggests that:

    "...books such as the Bible and Koran and Gita have been held to be far
    more important than any individual life. They have preserved the
    intellectual patterns that have saved whole cultures from degeneration
    into savagery. Similarly, it was the rediscovery of lost Greek patterns
    of intellect that is usually credited for the Renaissance." [Lila's
    Child p.313]

    Once intellectual patterns latch in their own right beyond the
    biological lifespan and experience of an individual and beyond the
    purposes of associated rituals and customs of societies they can grow,
    evolve and die with a higher degree of versatility and freedom and
    according to intellectual rules.

    "Intellectuality occurs when these customs as well as biological and
    inorganic patterns are designated with a sign that stands for them and
    these signs are manipulated independently of the patterns they stand
    for. "Intellect" can then be defined very loosely as the level of
    independently manipulable signs. Grammar, logic and mathematics can be
    described as the rules of this sign manipulation." [Letter from Pirsig
    to Paul]

    Paul