Re: MD When is an interpretation not an interpretation?

From: MATTHEW PAUL KUNDERT (mpkundert@students.wisc.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 17 2003 - 18:11:17 GMT

    David,

    David said:
    I have my own ideas, but I am not sure what you say sounds anything like a scientific experiment. OK imagine a test for ether. We construct an experiment that makes sense to most of the science community, if we get result A we have no evidence to contradict our ether theory, if we get result B it falsifies our theory. What is the status of the data for you? I.E. what is its status in the discursive community?

    Matt:
    I have no idea what you are looking for. Status of the data? I don't get it. Result A leaves ether theory intact while Result B falsifies it. Using Kuhnian language, Result A is explained by the disciplinary matrix the scientific community is using (i.e. ether theory), while Result B counts as an anomaly against the current paradigm.

    Is that what you are looking for?

    Matt