Re: MD The Metaphysical Fault Line (Was Sit on my faith)

From: David MOREY (us@divadeus.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Sun Dec 28 2003 - 18:38:12 GMT

    Khoo Hock Aun:
    However, my point of view is not that of "linear" time. There is only
    reality which is the eternal now, (or present) on one side of the fault
    line; this represents unpatterned Dyanmic Quality and on the other side,
    there are patterns of the past and future both conceived as concepts in the
    mind. We continually update or change our past patterns by our present
    actions as quickly as the future patterns are conceived and acted upon.
    Patterns therefore arise and dissolve all the time in the eternal now;
    giving rise to the concept that there is "linear" time. There is no past and
    future in reality, only patterns of the past and future - but everything
    happens to everything else all at once in the eternal now.

    David M: For me I am happy to say DQ is eternal (which is a nothing kind of
    statement) but otherwise eternal sounds too Platonic for my liking. I am
    happy
    to embrace the non-concept of Nothing, but I think this is important because
    of the perspective on the hear and now that it gives. I am therefore
    interested in
    the return to the finite world where clouds and mountains become clouds and
    mountains
    again. The magnificence of the Nothing is also reflected in the shock that
    there
    is Being, something rather than only Nothing. The root and source is
    Nothing, yet there
    is also something. There are patterns, things repeat, it seem worthwhile to
    go around
    the circle another time. There are also Pirsig's levels and some sort of
    journey occuring.
    As Schelling says: in man nature opens her eyes and becomes aware of
    herself.
    So perhaps we should give thanks. Yet there is much that is horrific.
    The journey is proving very difficult. My personal god is less an all
    knowing creator
    than a project that needs all the help it can get. To be challenging perhaps
    I would
    ask if Buddhism tries to get out of what looks like a pretty rough ride (I
    am sure this is unfair
    but I look forward to your answer)?

    regards
    David M