Re: MD MOQ and Islam

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Sun Feb 22 2004 - 16:02:13 GMT

    Hi David M,

    > I have no problem with the emergence of an 'Other'
    > within experience. I see the cosmos as evolving
    > from a One to the Many. This is a matter of differentiation,
    > complexity, evolution, and also alienation. But if we originate from a One,
    > then there is always the possibility of withdrawing from dualism, or
    > leaping across it to experience union in a new way, or at a different
    > level

    I didn't mean to imply there is a "problem" with dualism. Without it, we
    wouldn't survive for long. We divide to survive. All thought, language,
    and logic are based on such fundamental dualisms as yes/no, good/bad,
    friend/enemy, beneficial/dangerous, Dynamic/static Quality.

    > Non-dual unity is easy for children, but when attained in maturity
    > is more of an achievement and contains a more reflective complexity. In a
    > way such adult experience is not so much pre-language as beyond language,
    > but consequently, also containing the achievements and experience of
    > language but getting beyond it, perhaps we need to think about this less in
    > terms of language's abstract symbols and more about the way language makes
    > understanding possible, does not all ganuine understanding imply a
    > non-dualistic leap over the divide from self to other.

    Well, I'd like to hear more about the difference between language-based
    understanding and "genuine" understanding. For example, to understand in
    theory that "we are one" will not help me much when confronted with
    mugger. Please explain further.

    Thanks,
    Platt