Re: MD The Individual Level

From: Steve Peterson (peterson.steve@verizon.net)
Date: Mon May 03 2004 - 16:19:04 BST

    Hi DMB,

    > dmb had egged:
    > ..I don't see the idea at all. ..Just please concentrate on making
    > your own
    > thoughts clear. (Maybe I can egg you on by saying that you should do
    > it just
    > to prove to me that you can make your thoughts clear, because I'm very
    > skeptical at this point.)
    >
    > Steve refried:
    > You can't egg me on in that way. I don't feel that I need to prove
    > anything to you. I don't think that you approach many of these
    > discussions with a sincere desire to reach understanding and to seek
    > truth. It just sounds like you're itchin' for a fight.
    >
    > dmb replies:
    > I wish you wouldn't see it that way. Its a show stopper. I mean, don't
    > you
    > think I've engaged with your views and opinions in a direct and
    > specific
    > way? My egging-on wasn't suppose to send you off in a huff. Quite the
    > contrary. I'm practically on my knees begging for clarity. Why should
    > this
    > offend people so much? I wish someone would be so direct and specific
    > with
    > my posts. I think that's what its all about. It takes two to tango - at
    > least. I really don't get it. If I'd made an assertion repeatedly and
    > someone asked me serious questions about it, I'd be thrilled. I'd be
    > flattered. Instead, you have replied with insults and refusals.
    > Bummer. I
    > guess the only sane thing to do around here is to make peace with
    > disappointment and frustration.
    >
    > Steve continued:
    > ...When you say that I don't express my thoughts clearly enough, you
    > may
    > very well be right. (I do the best I can.) However, I suspect that a
    > key
    > impediment to your understanding is that you read posts looking for
    > opportunities to comment rather than to understand or to learn. Most
    > of the
    > time I feel like you are performing for an audience rather than
    > conversing
    > with me. I'm glad to learn from you and everyone else in this group
    > when I
    > can, but I've lost hope that you are a part of this discussion for the
    > same
    > reason, so I see no reason to entertain your disingenuous invitations
    > enlighten you. As far as I can tell, you see enlightening others as
    > your
    > department.
    >
    > dmb replies:
    > I'm not seeking enlightenment from you.

    Of course you aren't. That's my point. It's unthinkable to you that I
    could have something teach you.

    > I simply want to understand what
    > you're saying.

    But you don't ask because you want to learn. You just want to debate,
    and I think your attitude prevents you from understanding what others
    have to say.

    As far as I can tell, you've never learned a thing in any of these
    discussions and you've never been wrong. (If you could admit that Lila
    participates in intellectual patterns you might give me some hope.)

    > You've repeatedly scolded me for talking about people and the
    > levels in a certain way.

    I've never scolded anyone. You have begun using the language
    "socially-dominated person" rather than saying that the person is "on
    the social level," and I appreciate that.

    > I've never understood the reasons for it or what
    > you were talking about.

    That's because you don't try to understand, but rather you try to
    figure out where I went wrong. Your mind is made up before you read
    any arguments.

    > I would have thought that everyone wants to be
    > understood, most especially in a place like this.

    Yes, it's quite frustrating.

    > And MOST especially
    > because you started it! Its you who wants me to stop doing something
    > and I
    > only want to know what it is I'm supposed to stop. How dare me ask
    > what it
    > is! Jeez, I'm such a jerk. I hate myself.

    It would help you understand others if you could get over yourself.

    > ...I think its safe to say that you have over-reacted wildly here and
    > revealed an anger and resentment that has little to do with my specific
    > question.
    >
    > Fine. Hold a grudge. Let it destroy a perfectly good conversation.

    It's ceased to be a good conversation for me. That's why I'm opting
    out. I would be happy to try again to explain to you what I mean about
    types of patterns versus types of people if I thought you sincerely
    wanted to learn.