Re: MD Ronald Reagan

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Wed Jun 09 2004 - 22:04:08 BST

    MSH confuses me and himself:

    > In developing their versions of "truth", people do indeed emphasize
    > some facts and ignore others, as the result of their "history and
    > current patterns of values." This does not mean that the facts,
    > whether emphasized or ignored, are not true.

    Didn't you just get through telling everybody that "true facts" is a
    meaningless redundancy?

    > So it's possible for
    > someone to ignore the fact that water freezes at 0 degrees C, and
    > then go on to develop a beautiful, inwardly consistent version of
    > "truth." This does not mean they can ice skate on Lake Eerie in
    > July.

    Pirsig would say water freezing at 0 degrees C is a high-quality idea.

    > msh said:
    > > I'm always tickled when I run into the "truth is relative" people.
    > > This may be "true" but NO ONE believes it, even the people who make
    > > the statement. They are, after all, trying to communicate some
    > > "truth."
    >
    > ph said:
    > You also appear to ascribe to the notion of what "everybody says"
    > must be true (or the negative version, "no one believes it").
    > Besides asserting an absolute truth, you seem oblivious to the
    > Argumentum ad Populum fallacy.
    >
    > msh says:
    > This interpretation of what I said is so far off, it's difficult to
    > comment. But I'll try to be more clear.
    >
    > In discussion with others, anyone who says "truth is relative" either
    > doesn't understand what they are saying, or doesn't believe it. If the
    > statement is "true", language is useless as a means of communication.

    Let's see if I can clarify what you're trying to say. The statement.
    "Truth is relative" is self-contradictory. Right?

    > No
    > one, including Pirsig, would bother to make the statement, much less write
    > a book about it or anything else.

    There you go again. Asserting another absolute truth that's false. As a
    matter of fact, (pun intended) there's a book on truth entitled "Truth" by
    Felipe Fernandez-Armesto that has an entire chapter devoted to "relative
    truth."

    Best,
    Platt