Re: MD the metaphysics of free-enterprise

From: Mark Steven Heyman (markheyman@infoproconsulting.com)
Date: Sat Jul 10 2004 - 22:35:27 BST

    Hi Mel,

    Thanks for the feedback. Don't think we have much argument. A few
    comments interspersed, below.

    On 10 Jul 2004 at 13:34, ml wrote:
    After Microplop 'stole' their operating system, they follow IBM's
    example and Marketing was king over Quality.

    msh says:
    Actually, they hitched their wagon to IMB's star. The first IBM PC's
    cost around three grand, as I recall, about a third the cost of an
    Apple. If you bought an IBM, or later, a clone, you were pretty
    much stuck paying for DOS as well.

    mel:
    Not a fan, I use Linux on most of my Systems...but gotta give the
    devil his due.

    msh says:
    Yeah, I use Linux too. But, because all of my clients use Windows, I
    gotta keep up with it. It's not as bad as some old hackers say,
    just not as good as MS would have us believe. And dangerously
    insecure, as we're discovering daily. I think they're app dev
    software, VC++ and VB, are just fine.

    mel:
    Most folks still would not use a PC without MS's pre-literate-grunt-
    click operating system.

    msh says:
    Yes. But this is because MS refused resale licenses to any OEMs wo
    wouldn't sell their boxes with Windows pre-installed. Most people
    simply went with what they got. You couldn't buy a PC w/o paying for
    Windows, even if you zapped the hard drive and installed your own OS,
    and tried to return the unopened Windows package and license. No
    refund, sorry.

    Then, of course, MS began bundling other apps right in with the OS,
    IE and MediaPlayer for example. It was this sort of business
    practice that eventually, but way too late, got them into a little
    trouble. Finally, for non-MS developers, there's the additional
    problem of not being able to see the Windows source code, which is
    guarded like the president's nuclear football. This gives MS
    developers a real advantage in writing Windows apps.

    Oh well. It's not becoming for me to whine too much about MS; I've
    been piggy-backing of them for 20 years. ;-)

    > msh says:
    > Or, maybe, some of them preferred making a living without
    exploiting
    > others, even if it meant being exploited themselves. And, since
    you
    > seem to be confused by the word, I'm using "exploited" in the
    > economic sense of paying an employee less than the value of his
    > product, so that the product may be sold for a profit.

    mel:
    Sorry for the subtlety, but I was gently trying to point at a piece
    of ideology to which you seem wedded, you use EXPLOIT in a
    paternalistic manner. You seem to allow no possibility of free will
    on the part of the employee, which truly would be a low quality
    position. Apologies if I am mistaken...truly.

    msh says:
    You're right. I DO get a little strident about this sometimes. It's
    just that in situations such as the one described by Arlo, where
    people are so desperate they'll accept just about anything, free will
    is almost a negligible factor.

    > mel:
    > I think history and economics shows this assertion not to be true.
    > Economies South of the Rio Grande are traditionally paternalistic
    > systems run by a small group of elite in each country. Only at
    the
    > village and produce market level are they dynamic and free. If you
    > are looking at real money you must make deals with the "right"
    > families. That was a Spanish creation, but the families are also
    > the ones who traditionally 'pick' their country's rulers.
    >
    > msh says:
    > I find it difficult to believe that you belive this. And don't
    know
    > what to say, after that. I can recommend some books on American
    > interventions in Latin America, I suppose.

    mel:
    My opinion on Parternalistic Economies is based on having
    read about them and having known the scions of two of the
    "RIGHT" Familias, un de Venezuela y un de Guatemala.
    En Argentina y en Mexico, hay lo mismo cuando las moneda
    es miliones. Also from some amount of international mining
    business involvement. Sorry, on the ground, you gotta be with
    the right people or a project goes nowhere.

    Lo siento amigo, pero Paternalismo es la verdad!

    msh says:
    No need to apologize. Ok, sure. Paternalism is for real, if by
    "paternalism" you mean a privileged elite has the power and wealth to
    run the country. In that case, it's more than alive and well in the
    USA as well. And Canada. Any European country. In fact, just about
    any nation-state I can think of.

    mel:
    Much as Yankees like to think themselves strong and smart, we get
    duped and played the patsy by one group or another in Latin
    countries. As my father is fond of stating, no matter what you do
    you are going to be wrong.

    msh says:
    The Gringos don't need to be smarter to get their way. Just more
    powerful and more violent. Again, you might want to take a look at
    the history of American interventions, south of the border and all
    the way to Chile, over the last 100 years.

    Thanks again for your thoughts, Mel. Welcome to the group.

    Best,
    Mark Steven Heyman (msh)
    --
    InfoPro Consulting - The Professional Information Processors
    Custom Software Solutions for Windows, PDAs, and the Web Since 1983

    "Thought is only a flash between two long nights, but this flash is
    everything." -- Henri Poincare'