LS Re: Senses

Magnus Berg (qmgb@bull.se)
Thu, 2 Oct 1997 20:07:07 +0100

Platt Holden wrote:

> Magnus,
>
> In your post of Sep. 30 you asked: "What can intellectual patterns directly
> value?"
>
> The purpose of intellect is to relate perceptions into patterns of meaning
> so one can act to improve his chances of survival. The intellect's highest
> value is truth. Towards that end it values clarity and coherence.
>
> You also asked: "What types of Quality events are the origins of
> intellectual patterns?"
>
> Intellectual patterns originated when DQ inspired the first man to point to
> a wild boar and yell, "Dinner" and the first woman to put berries, roots
> and chunks of boar meat together and say, "Food." From there it took off
> reveling in its new-found freedom to abstract from the particular and is
> now trying to create clones of itself (silicon or otherwise) so it can
> defeat death and ultimately manipulate and control all patterns in the
> universe. Of course, it risks going up in flames in the effort.
>
> I hope these answers come within striking range of your questions. If I'm
> off target, please let me know.

Well, my hope was actually that the two questions would be the same
and their purpose was more or less rethorical. But of course I
appreciate your answers, they gave me valuable input as well as
hints on your interpretation of the questions.

My intention with the questions was to show that in each of the levels,
there are still two sides resulting from the Quality Event, the subject
and the object. The subject is the side that does the actual valuation,
and the object is the side being valued. From the subject's p.o.v., the
object is the internal representation of the Quality Event, which of
course is an illusion since the subject is in fact part of the result
of the QE.

I would very much like Bo's comment on this, I suspect you would
have something to say on all my talk about subjects and objects.

        Magnus

--
post message - mailto:skwok@spark.net.hk