LS Sv: AI and MoQ

Anders Nielsen (joshu@diku.dk)
Wed, 15 Oct 1997 08:08:43 +0100

> I also tend to think that neural networks and fuzzy logic will make AI
> possible. May be not of Bohr's level, but of a librarian or an airline
> pilot type, meaning task specific.

I don't think you'd be able to call a task-specific program intelligent, if
the criterion of intelligence is passing the Turing test. A conversation
with an automated car-pilot for example might go:

you: "Good evening James, take me to my Parent's House"

car: "and their address is still 'Farum Hovedgade 35', is it?"

you: "yes it is"

car: "shall I take the scenic route, or the highway?"

you: "oh....hmm...well I've got time to spare, so let's go by the coast"

car: "very good sir, we shall be arriving around 8 o'clock sir, make
yourself comfortable"

And that's probably stretching it a bit...you'd never be able to converse
with it about poems. jokes or recent political events and such (mostly
because that kind of intelligence isn't necessary for an automated
car-pilot).

> I just don't see how the possibility of
> AI discussion affects MoQ. If people create AI, it will be based on all
> human social patterns, otherwise humans would not call it intelligent.
and,
> if the future society of robots decides to discard all life/biology on
> Earth, they will just loose one of the levels. Amended MoQ will still be
> useful to them as an explanation of their reality. They will still be
> thankful to once necessary bio as a facilitator of social and
intellectual
> levels.

Yes well..let me ask a question then:

If we presume there's intelligence at least as advanced as our own
somewhere in the universe, will these aliens then be able to use MoQ as way
of describing their reality, or is MoQ a human-specific metaphysics?

(I think of making AI not as much as making an artificial human, but more
of making an artificial intelligent alien, because then you don't have to
explain why it can't do human-specific things like dancing or handstands
etc...)

If MoQ is not completely human-specific, constructing an AI will be making
a machine perceive quality.

- Anders Nielsen, joshu@diku.dk