LS Re: Quality Event

Doug Renselle (renselle@on-net.net)
Thu, 13 Nov 1997 03:48:44 +0100

Bo and TLS,

Bodvar Skutvik wrote:

> Hello Doug and TLS. You wrote:

Doug's earlier comments soliciting Bo's comment below:
> > The atomic SPoVs are very stable, IMO, but their
> > interactions/interrelations and interpenetrations are highly
> dynamic.
> > This is also true for the subatomic SPoVs categorized broadly as
> bosons
> > (~Subjects) and fermions (~Objects).
> > If I recall the longest predicted life of some infinitesimal
> patterns
> > (esp. photons, electrons, gravitons, and neutrinos) is infinite.
>
> Yes, the interactions between the stable particles have
> produced the known matter forms. A more MOQish way of
> saying it is that the inorganic patterns are matter (however exotic)
> Your equation of bosons=subjects and fermions=objects I have
> reservations about (isn't that just a difference in spin numbers?).
> The Static Inorganic Level don't distinguish between ordinary
> particles and "force carrying" particles, nor is their life span
> substantial. (If this is what you say? I am a bit rusty in this
> field at the moment)

Bo,

I used the tilde (~) character instead of the equal (=) sign
intentionally. The MoQ made me do it. :-) Modern physics, to me - very
interestingly, has found that all of nature consists of two categories:
bosons (spin integer 0, 1, 2,...) and fermions (spin 1/2up or 1/2down).
As I remarked in an earlier post, bosons are gregarious and social with
many of them congregating in an energy level. Fermions, however, only
share an energy level with at most one other fermion of complementary
spin (an up and a down may share an energy level).

Bosons are the stuff of BECs (Bose-Einstein Condensates). BECs are
subpatterns of lasers, superfluids, and some (e.g., Danah Zohar) say
mind.

I made the MoQ-connection that if fermions are class-object then bosons
might be class-subject. All of this stuff in the context of modern
physics resides in vacuum. Physicists also say that vacuum has an
energy density which they call VED or vacuum energy density. The VED is
a VERY big number, if I recall, on the order of 10^93 grams per cubic
centimeter. So we have fermions (matter) and bosons (I cringe to say
this - mind) all in a very energetic VED (cringe again - Quality).

I see this as another powerful, positive metaphor of MoQ. To me, this
metaphor reinforces MoQ. It does not detract from MoQ. It makes our
job of proselytizing MoQ in SOM-land so much easier.

Now all of what I wrote above is my own, perhaps naive speculation. I
accept your chagrin of my exotic thoughts in advance for that.

Bo, I am looking for the possible ways which TLS can buttress MoQ.
Parables are powerful! The new science, to me, has many parables to
MoQ. I want (us) to find them.

A really fun read which eliminates a lot of 'rust,' is "The Quantum
Universe," by Tony Hey and Patrick Walters, Cambridge Press. Lots of
pictures and lay-level descriptions of what QM is all about. Some other
neat historical stuff here too.

Isn't it amazing what Maggie has wrought? What a thread!

Mtty to all of TLS,

Doug Renselle.
> > Bo, thank you for your recent awesome contributions.
>
> Same to you Doug. Up through the years it was as if I were alone with
> the quality ideas. Then less than a year ago there was a very welcome
> greeting from Platt Holden (after he had found my web essay),
> and there were two of us! One hundred percent increase! Later a
> trickle of mail from Pirsig fans arrived, and suddenly the
> Lila Squad where I learned that there have been other small groups
> and individual pirsigites all the time. To find oneself discussing
> the finer points of the quality idea - even the luxury of disagreeing
> from time to time is sheer ....abundance. Maggie spoke of a similar
> experience; from loneliness to swimming in it (drowning perhaps :-) ?
> TLS will eventually come to an end (all mailing-lists do), but
> things will not be the same again.

Bo,

If DQ really works (it does!), and if MoQ is a grand new meme (it is!),
then perhaps TLS will not end, but grow and evolve and generate whole
new patterns. That is my wish and hope.

Doug Renselle.

--
"...the Metaphysics of Quality does not insist on a single exclusive
truth.  If subjects and objects are held to be the ultimate reality then

Robert M. Pirsig Page 100, "Lila" hard-bound, Bantam, 1991.

--
post message - mailto:skwok@spark.net.hk