LS Re: PROGRAM Basics of the MOQ

Bodvar Skutvik (skutvik@online.no)
Sat, 13 Dec 1997 03:46:38 +0100

11 December Anthony McWatt wrote (among other things.
      My capitals):

> 8. Why is evolution an important consideration in the MOQ?

> Though each level of static patterns have emerged from the one below,
> each level follows its own different laws i.e. there are physical laws
> such as gravity (inorganic), the laws of the jungle (biology),
> co-operation between animals (society), and the IDEAS OF FREEDOM
> AND RIGHTS (intellect). It is important to note that the different laws of
> the four static levels often clash e.g. adultery (biological good) v.
> family stability (social good).

Anthony.
Interesting to see your contribution to the "Principia Qualitaetis".
It all may go straight to the list as I see it, but whose
formulations are to be "enshrined" will surely become a new debate. .

Re. the capitals above: Since we wrote last there has been a certain
development in the way the LS define the various value levels - no
great break, but a little different from what you and I worked out.
This goes mostly for the Intellectual level. I'll try to explain:

The top quality level was long a bone of content. I cannot recall
exactly how the arguments went, but although the ....ideas of freedom
and rights (of the individual over Society) is as valid as ever, some
felt that it looked too much like the freedom of the biological level
and wanted the "mental" part of it to be emphasized, so we agreed
on "Rational thinking " or "Rationality". I fought against purely
"thinking", because that sounds like the mind of SOM.
As an aside. I also feel that the Social level has been unduly
expanded to embrace culture, as you will see of the
various entries (Pirsig uses "culture" as the denominator for
Intellect!). Otherwise, I think your formulations are good,
particularly the ones of MOQ's basic axioms.

> Finally, though it may be argued that a metaphysics that incorporates a
> central term that isn`t defined (i.e. Dynamic Quality) isn`t a real
> metaphysics, it can also be argued that the strength of the MOQ is its
> ability to incorporate the indeterminate divine within a coherent and
> logical paradigm.

Yes exactly. Re. the "Bodvar and God" (Ugh!) thread.

Bo

--
post message - mailto:lilasqd@hkg.com