LS Re: The definition of Quality.

Dave Thomas (dlt44@ipa.net)
Sun, 14 Dec 1997 19:42:38 +0100

Doug

Thanks for your effort to clear my muddled mind, but I'm still not there yet.
I agree that this is one of the critical issues to be resolved.

> " But quantum theory has destroyed the idea that [ONLY] properties located
> in external physical objects have reality."
>
> Robert M. Pirsig, page 14 in his paper
> "Subjects, Objects, Data and Values," presented at the Einstein Meets
> Magritte conference, Fall 1995.

But I'm still hung up on the [ONLY],my emphasis, in the above referenced
quote. I infer from this that man's reality always has a "subjective"
component which is I believe is born out by the quantum theory. But not
necessarily that there is no external "objective" component. And that while
SoM maintains that we can isolate that "objective" component MoQ maintains we
cannot. That our reality is both rather and either and to separate this way
leads to whole catagories of phenomena that fit neither. So maybe you could
answer one or both of the following questions in terms of the quantum theory
to clear this up for me.

If the phenomena we observe and call "quanta" forever and always disappears
from our universe would our reality markedly change?

Under quantum mechanics if all men die then the does phenomena we observe and
call "quanta" cease to be? Would the then remaining universe,other than man
being gone, markedly change? ie would the sun, earth, stars disappear or
change in any way?

I was not aware of Bohr's use of the Tao. The fact that it is both the
dominant Eastern icon in Western culture, to the point of being a cliché, it's
was an obvious choice. Having a sine wave as the boundary is not something I
had picked up on but that makes it even more appropriate as a vehicle for a
East/West combine.

Heard a new blurb that somewhere in Europe, Switzerland it think, scientists
have succeeded in "teleporting" quanta. But that "Beam me up Scotty" is still
a fur piece in the future. As an architect the dream of eliminating the auto
from our built world makes me want to live to be a million years old in the
hopes that it someday happens. :-)

Still Seeking

Dave

--