LS Re: Everything/Nothing

Martin Striz (striz1@MARSHALL.EDU)
Thu, 8 Jan 1998 23:12:56 +0100

Greetings and happy new year LS.

>> >"Reality is everything" because she sets up a
>> > boundary between everything and nothing. Pirsig says,
"Or 'zero' or 'space'
>> > for that matter. Today these terms have almost nothing
to do with nothing.
>> > 'Zero' and 'space' are complex relationships of
'somethingness.'" In other
>> > words, nothing is something, a logical absurdity.

Actually this is one of the instances where I don't see a
conradiction, just a necessary re-definition. Where we
simply assumed that space and zero are nothing, it has been
shown that they are indeed "something," if nothing more than
conceptions (intellectual values). They say the universe is
expanding, which means that space is also expanding, and at
the edge of the universe and beyond there is pure, real
nothingness. A true void, without even space or time. No
dimensions. Now THAT may sound absurd but only because we
have constructed our world to look in a certain way and
can't imagine it being any different. Imagining 0 dimensions
is as absurd as imagining 6 dimensions, but modern
mathematics says it can be possible and they exist, but we
can't perceive them (some even posit 20 dimensions!).

Cheers,
Martin

--
post message - mailto:lilasqd@hkg.com