LS Re: bits and pieces

Diana McPartlin (diana@asiantravel.com)
Wed, 4 Feb 1998 15:24:31 +0100

Hi Ciona

Nice to see you delurking!

> Going back to ZMM, does anyone else think that there seems to be a
> predominance of classic rather than romantic thinkers on the Lila
> Squad? Most of the postings seem to be evolving in an extremely
> classical direction, and as a classicist myself, I would be interested
> in hearing from someone who had a more romantic perspective. I'm not
> sure if this is a result of romantic avoiding the internet, or the idea
> of the Lila Squad, or merely being reluctant to participate in the more
> recent threads.

I think that Lila is essentially a classical book and so it attracts
classically minded people. Being on the Internet probably contributes to
that but I'm sure it would be the case offline as well. We have had a
few romantics wandering through but they seem to be annoyed by attempts
to structure and define the MoQ. They also tend to be the people who
prefered ZMM to Lila. I find it hard to see why anyone romantic would
like Lila. If you take away the stuff about hierarchies, codes, morals
and relationships, then all you've got is a story about a guy and a
boat.

> I've found the threads on quantum theory and physics to be
> fascinating: right now I'm reading "The Dancing Wu Li Masters", which
> seems to relate nicely to what the sqaud has been discussing. I would
> like to pose the question of how art relates to MoQ, however.
> (Hopefully, this could raise a more romantic side of the list). What is
> the moral value of art? Would anyone be interested in pursuing this?

I'm not sure that I agree that talking about art is romantic. Doesn't it
depend what you say about it? If all we say is, hey isn't that a nice
picture, then we're being romantic. But if we start to study the
underlying value pattern which leads to our conclusion that it's a nice
picture, then we're back in classical land.

We have discussed art quite a bit in the past. I've resurected an old
post (see the arts and Art) which summarizes a few people's views.
Needless to say, nobody agrees with anybody else, but then it woudn't be
any fun if we did;-)

Diana

--
post message - mailto:lilasqd@hkg.com