LS Re: bits and pieces

Doug Renselle (renselle@on-net.net)
Thu, 5 Feb 1998 05:57:55 +0100

Dave,

I like what you wrote on art and Art.

On the pronuciation of Lila, I intended for 'eye' to be a long 'I.' You
probably read it like this: Le eye lah. That is not what I intended. I
meant LI lah. :)

Everyone with whom I have spoken says it that way. Note though that in
Dancing Wu Li Masters the Li is 'Lee.'

I enjoy the discussions on A-art, so I am going to observe for awhile.

Mtty,

Doug Renselle.

Dave Thomas wrote:

> Ciona
>
> > What is the moral value of art? Would anyone be interested in
> pursuing this?
>
> Assume by art you a referring to the capital "A" type as in Diana's
> prior posting:
>
> > Art as in any endeavour taken to the level that it becomes an Art
> (note the capital
> > "A").That can be anything - the Art of music or painting, but
> equally the Art
> >of computer programming, basketball playing, hotel management.
> Pirsig's code
> of Art is I think
> >refering only to the second type and it's a synonym for dynamic
> quality; he
> probably didn't want >to use the word Art because it is too easily
> confused
> with art in its usual meaning.
>
> Though in general I agree with her analysis my take is slightly
> different. As
> a preface, Art is a topic very much like what Pirig said about
> defining
> Quality. "Don't do it. You'll get into nothing but trouble. It's just
> going to
> start a thousand dumb arguments..." One could infer from his mention
> of the
> "Code of Art" that Art is synonymous with Dynamic Quality. Under MoQ
> the
> source of all things is Dynamic Quality so Art also surely originates
> from
> there. But IMO, Art is the attempt to capture, illustrate, freeze,
> recreate,
> etc. if you will Dynamic Quality. As such it is very much as Pirsig
> said about
> writing a metaphysics, "in the strictest mystic sense, a degenerate
> activity."
> Why? Because it never truly succeeds. The close calls are the static
> patterns
> we call "A"rt. The rest are at best little "a" art. Art degenerates in
> the
> process of conversion from is dynamic source into a static pattern and
> in
> doing so loses its higher quality. If this were not so the artist
> would stop
> awe struck the first time Dynamic Quality was truly captured. It's the
> pursuit
> of this allusive prey that keeps artists going.
>
> Is art moral? In a MoQ sense, yes, because it can be one of the
> greatest
> exercises of freedom a person can make. Just as writing a Metaphysics
> can lead
> to electro-shock treatments, Art can lead one to lose an ear.
>
> P.S. Doug's, Leye-Lah, is almost right for the South, but Lye-Lah is
> right up
> there also.
>
> Dave
>
> --
> post message - mailto:lilasqd@hkg.com

"Socrates himself says it is an analogy...Everything is an analogy.  But
the dialecticians don't know that."

By Robert M. Pirsig, in 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance,' pp. 351-2, Bantam (paperback), 28th edition, 1982.

--
post message - mailto:lilasqd@hkg.com