LS Re: Three shots in the night

Magnus Berg (MagnusB@DataVis.se)
Thu, 12 Feb 1998 22:38:52 +0100

Hi Donny and welcome to the Lila Squad

> SOM (in "modern times") starts w/ DeCartes (about 100 years
>before Kant). He talked in terms of 'mind' and 'body,' and left open the
>question of: What is the link between the two? How can one know the other?
>And that is what Kant answered.
> Now broadly speeking there are three types of metapysics: Monism:
>all is one, Dualism: everything is either one of two things, and
>Pluralism. SOM is a clear dualism, but it's quite false to say (as Magnus
>said) that all metaphysics between Aristotle and Pirsig has been dualism.

Q.E.D. Your answer demonstrates very well what I was trying to say. We
on TLS, at least I, *do* lump most metaphysics between Aristotle and
Pirsig
into the same SOM bag. From a classical philosopher's point of view,
that
must seem quite unfair. You said that SOM is a clear dualism, but I
think
materialism is SOM too because it's trying to deduce subjects using
objects.
The same goes for idealism but the other way around, it's trying to
deduce objects using subjects. In both cases there's a presumption that
both subjects and objects must be explained using the metaphysics.

I suppose that the words subject and object might not be used in
monisms, but I don't think it's very hard to find their synonyms.

As you might suspect, I'm not very well read in these matters. We're
not into philosophology on TLS, but perhaps we should be more than
we are. As Jason put it quite some time ago, "one has no right to take
issue with an opposing position until he is able to restate his
understanding of that position sufficiently enough to receive the
other's approval". I don't think many materialists, idealists or
dualists
approve of our description of their points of view.
You might be the person to help us do that.

        Magnus

--
"I'm so full of what is right, I can't see what is good"
                                N. Peart - Rush

--
post message - mailto:lilasqd@hkg.com