LS Re: Three shots in the night

Diana McPartlin (diana@asiantravel.com)
Thu, 12 Feb 1998 23:34:34 +0100

Magnus, Donny and squad,

Donny wrote:
> > SOM (in "modern times") starts w/ DeCartes (about 100 years
> >before Kant). He talked in terms of 'mind' and 'body,' and left open the
> >question of: What is the link between the two? How can one know the other?
> >And that is what Kant answered.
> > Now broadly speeking there are three types of metapysics: Monism:
> >all is one, Dualism: everything is either one of two things, and
> >Pluralism. SOM is a clear dualism, but it's quite false to say (as Magnus
> >said) that all metaphysics between Aristotle and Pirsig has been dualism.

Magnus:
> Q.E.D. Your answer demonstrates very well what I was trying to say. We
> on TLS, at least I, *do* lump most metaphysics between Aristotle and
> Pirsig
> into the same SOM bag. From a classical philosopher's point of view,
> that
> must seem quite unfair.

This is a really good point. We do tend to lump them all together, so
did Pirsig. And, as you said in your other post, that's probably why
most classical philosophologers ignored Pirsig. They all just shrugged
their shoulders and said, well it isn't *me* he's talking to.

> I don't think many materialists, idealists or
> dualists
> approve of our description of their points of view.
> You might be the person to help us do that.

I hope somebody can, otherwise we've got our work cut out for the next
ten years or so. Let's see where should we start..."A comparison of the
philosophies of Rene Descartes and Robert Pirsig", "A comparison of the
philosophies of Immanuel Kant and Robert Pirsig", "A comparison of the
philosophies of David Hume and Robert Pirsig", etc etc etc. And once
we've done all those we can start on "A comparison of the philosophies
of Rene Descartes, David Hume and Robert Pirsig".... No wonder he
lumped them all together.

Diana

--
post message - mailto:lilasqd@hkg.com