LS Explain the Dynamic-Static split

Diana McPartlin (diana@asiantravel.com)
Tue, 2 Jun 1998 14:44:32 +0100

Hi Squad

>From chap 9:

"Not subject and object but static and Dynamic is the basic division of
reality. When A N Whitehead wrote that 'mankind is driven forward by dim
apprehensions of things too obscure for its existing language,' he was
writing about Dynamic Quality. Dynamic Quality is the pre-intellectual
cutting edge of reality, the source of all things, completely simple and
always new. It was the moral force that had motiviated the brujo in
Zuni. It contained no pattern of fixed rewards and punishments. Its only
perceived good is freedom and its only perceived evil is static quality
itself -- any pattern of one-sided fixed values that tries to contain
and kill the ongoing free force of life."

Given that Pirsig admits that dynamic quality is "too obscure for [our]
existing language" we might seem to have an impossible task ahead.
However, a little elaboration should at least help us to be clearer
about dynamic and static in our own minds.

So who's first?

d.