LS Lets start from the first sentence.

From: Jonathan B. Marder (marder@agri.huji.ac.il)
Date: Sun May 14 2000 - 20:53:43 BST

KEITH
> It's time to start talking about Chapter 1. We have a week. If you
haven't
> already, pull out your copy of *Lila* and make your way through the
first
> chapter. Read it to yourself. Take notes. ...

I wasn't going to get involved in the pre-discussion discussion, but I'm
getting an overwhelming feeling that we are taking things much too
fast - not at all in the spirit of that excellent web page
http://www.freelance-academy.org/slowread.htm that Keith cited.

I am motivated by Pirsig's description from ZAMM (Ch. 16) of helping a
student with what was supposed to be her essay about the US. She was
told: "Narrow it down to the front of one building on the main street of
Bozeman. The Opera House. Start with the upper left-hand brick".
My feeling is that we should consider starting off the slow-reading
project by narrowing it down to the very first sentence: "Lila didn't
know he was here."

At first, I was concerned that we might end up going to ridiculous
depths and interpretations that went was beyong anything Pirsig
intended. Then I reconsidered the advice of the Slow Reading web page
that suggests treating every word as if it was written by God.

IMHO, that first sentence "Lila didn't know he was here." offers a lot
of scope e.g. for discussing the Pirsig's views on perception and
solipsism. Anyone want to play?

Jonathan

MOQ.org - http://www.moq.org