Re: LS Program: Instant cloning

From: diana@hongkong.com
Date: Mon Feb 01 1999 - 13:52:35 GMT

Magnus and squad

>Suppose there is a teleportation system that copies your DNA, kills
>you then instantaneously builds a perfect copy of you at a different
>location would you agree to travel by it?
>
>Or suppose it doesn't kill you, would it create another you?
>
>What does it take? Is it enough to copy your DNA? Are "you" defined
>by your DNA?

I would say that according to the MOQ our DNA only reflects our biological
value. So, this transporter would create a perfect biological copy but
mentally it would be like a baby with no social or intellectual patterns.

On the other hand if you could include memory in the package, the social
and intellectual patterns would be retained. Somehow that still doesn't
satisfy though. The patterns might be there, but I'm not so sure about the
consciousness. The DNA is only the information about the body, it is not in
itself the actual experiencing body. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding DNA, but
you might be able to write down all the information, but how would you make
the new body actually alive?

Diana
MOQ Online - http://www.moq.org