Re: LS Program: Instant cloning

From: Magnus Berg (McMagnus@hem2.passagen.se)
Date: Mon Feb 01 1999 - 21:50:12 GMT

Hi Diana and Squad

You wrote:
> I would say that according to the MOQ our DNA only reflects our biological
> value. So, this transporter would create a perfect biological copy but
> mentally it would be like a baby with no social or intellectual patterns.

No argument here.

> On the other hand if you could include memory in the package, the social
> and intellectual patterns would be retained. Somehow that still doesn't
> satisfy though. The patterns might be there, but I'm not so sure about the
> consciousness.

Neither am I. What bothers me is this. If patterns of the four levels are
all there is, and if we can make an exact copy of a set of patterns of
those levels, then we really should have an exact copy. But as you say,
what we call consciousness might not be copied after all, it would kind'a
not *be* consciousness since consciousness hardly can be at two places at
the same time, (supposing the original wasn't killed).

I simply don't think it's enough to only copy the patterns of the four
levels. A person is more than that, but what? I guess the easy way out
is to call it DQ, but I'm not very satisfied with that either. What I'm
getting at is of course our "Quantum selves" as proposed by Danah Zohar
in "The Quantum Self" which we discussed quite a while ago. Regardless
of whether the quantum world should be considered a lower level or not,
it seems that quantum physics has made clear that we cannot make exact
copies of anything. *But*, we can transfer all information from one
quanta to another, the "killing" of the original would be implicit.

> The DNA is only the information about the body, it is not in
> itself the actual experiencing body. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding DNA, but
> you might be able to write down all the information, but how would you make
> the new body actually alive?

Right, I don't think DNA is the key to instant cloning, its only purpose
is to transfer genes from one generation to the next. It's useless in the
time scopes we're talking about here.

        Magnus
MOQ Online - http://www.moq.org