Re: LS Program: Instant cloning

From: Richard Budd (rmb29@cornell.edu)
Date: Sat Feb 06 1999 - 00:11:42 GMT

You asked, "...where do memories physically reside? Memories must exist
somewhere..."

Memories physically reside? Well, if that ain't SOM, I don't know what
is. Is the mind in the body or is the body in the mind. Classic SOM
absurdities.

Hey,
The problem I have with this is Pirsig's analogy of the levels to a word
processor on a computer. Pirsig says something close to, "If I take a
microscope over every inch of that computer I will never find the story I
just typed on my word processor." This is true only from a certain point
of view (let's not forget what Yoda says). Pirsig goes on to acknowledge
that you would find the voltage levels and such things that the computer's
operating system will be able to eventually translate into that story.
Admittedly, one is not the same as the other... but the story is the higher
level being supported by the lower levels of the operating system, and
those voltage levels.
        In regards to memory, if you take a microscope over your brain you'll
never find your memories in there. But you will find the biological
equivalent of those voltage levels... the biological support for the higher
level of the intellectual memory.
        If I go into that computer and read those voltage levels, and then program
another computer so that it possesses identical voltage in the same places,
I will have a duplicate of my computer's memory. Theoretically speaking,
why couldn't I do the same with human brains???

It's all good,
Rick

MOQ Online - http://www.moq.org