LS copying DQ.

From: Troy (tbecker@gonzaga.edu)
Date: Sun Feb 07 1999 - 07:11:49 GMT

oh goody, this is turning into real fun. some people believe in the
self-clone, and others say it is impossible. here's what i say:

some earlier statements of mine were not as crystalized as they are now.
I mentioned that to copy Dynamic Quality is a contradiction. what i mean
to say, is that the essence of DQ is uncopiable. when we talk about this
verb, "to copy", it seems like we are actually bringing into it Pirsig's
explanation of static quality. static quality makes a "latching" of
Dynamic Quality. it is the super speed shutter that takes an exposure of
DQ and gives us what we grasp. so in effect, static quality IS copied
Dynamic Quality.

my contention is that we can copy the instantaneous flicker of space-time
Quality (and even its Dynamic components). But the essence of DQ is not
captured. DQ must continue to drive evolution in both the original AND
the copy, and from the moment of "birth", the copy is on its own,
Dynamicly.

so my conclusion is that we can hypothetically make a facsimille of this
brave, proud person, but so what? each person will say "me" and think of
him/herself. i imagine a runin with this clone to be similar to someone
with which we "have a lot in common." and the more time elapses after
"the copy", (and the more DQ drives evolution,) the less we will have in
common with our clone.

MOQ Online - http://www.moq.org