Re: LS BOUNCE

From: Mary Wittler (mwittler@geocities.com)
Date: Thu Mar 11 1999 - 03:58:14 GMT

Hi Squad,

"Sterling, Greg" wrote:

> Rich is correct though, you do need to tailor this 45 minute diatribe about
> the MoQ to the audience. So where do you start? :)

Thank you all so much for all the ideas and comments. I guess I owe you
an explanation of the situation to clarify things. I'll be talking
about the MOQ this Sunday, 3/14, to the Humanist forum within our
congregation. Following this, I'll probably do a full-fledged "sermon"
to the whole congregation sometime this spring. So this is just a
warm-up - I'll tell you all about what worked and what didn't next week.

The MOQ seems to have stirred up a lot of interest among my fellow
seekers in liberal religion, and my hope is to generate an on-going
discussion group about it. I debated about explaining the nature of the
group to which I'd be speaking though, because I want to hear all your
best ideas - not just those strictly tailored to a Humanist crowd. But
time is growing short, so tell me what you would want to say to a group
of Humanists! The only guidelines I can give would be to say that
invoking the Bible or too much mysticism would be out of place. I think
this group will be heavily weighted towards IntPOV.

One thing I think is key to grabbing their attention is to illustrate
how the SOM has failed us. Does anyone have some good examples of how
SOM thinking has hindered our understanding of the Universe? I can
always use Pirsig's own examples, but some fresh ones would be
appreciated. I've seen a few howlers on the "Journal of Consciousness
Studies" mailing list, but I also think exploring the whole
Victorian/Intellectual/Hippie thing would be good too - provided there's
enough time. Fortunately, I don't think there will be too many (any?)
physicists in the group. I'd be in deep trouble if I had to explain the
MOQ take on quantum physics, Neils Bohr's Complimentarity, or the
Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle - where's Richard Feynman when you need
him?

Thanks again for all your help. I know I would never have been able to
even contemplate doing something like this if it weren't for my
association with all of you - my MOQ friends.

Hugs to everyone,
Mary

MOQ Online - http://www.moq.org