RE: LS The Answer

From: Diana McPartlin (diana@hongkong.com)
Date: Wed May 19 1999 - 15:24:42 BST

Shaun, Rick and squad

To answer your questions:

Shaun wrote
>In your last message you refered to "the next level" with regard the MOQ.
>What this is may be in the hundreds of messages that I haven't had time to
>read yet. Could you possibly briefly explain "the next level"? ... of
>course, if it is appropriate here.

I just meant that there is a lot more to the MOQ than what Pirsig wrote. Any dialog on the MOQ would logically follow the pattern of a. establishing what Pirsig said, b. discussing what we think about that and then, perhaps, c. what to do about it. We're still struggling with "a", I'd quite like to get on to "b" but you can't do "b" without doing "a" first, and you can't do "a" at all, let alone "b" or "c" if you're going to ignore three quarters of Pirsig's work, as some are bizarrely doing.

Rick wrote:
>"An exceptional 6-year-old sounds like a 12-year-old. His peers might reject
>him but adults will understand and admire him. But an exceptional
>25-year-old doesn't sound like a 50-year-old. He sounds like someone nobody
>has ever heard before. (a vaguely remembered Pirsig quote)"
>
>I was wondering if you could point me in the direction of the source of
>this quote as I have been unable to locate anything like it in ZMM or LILA
>on my own.

It comes from an autobiographical essay that Pirsig wrote for an earlier website project that he later canned. Unfortunately I don't have a copy of it any more.

Diana

MOQ Online - http://www.moq.org