LS Dualism

From: Rob Stillwell (Stills@Bigfoot.com)
Date: Thu May 27 1999 - 04:00:43 BST

Hey Gang,

I've been bending my brain around the mind/body problem for some time. I would
like to discuss the possible existence of a "spirit" within us.

Succinctly, is there a "spirit" or "self" and how does it fit into Pirsig's MOQ?

We know consciousness exists. Everyone here (I assume) has experiences,
opinions and so forth. Yet, I can only infer what someone is feeling or
experiencing. Pirisig said *everything* that exists is *experiencable*.
Someone else's perception of value is not knowable or experiencable to me. How
can this be? Is the solution dualism - the existence of Value *and* Spirit?

Descartes made this plea to the materialists. I think the plea argument can be
made to the MOQists. Unfortunately, the philosophers (Descartes, St. Thomas
Aquinas) wrongly -- I think -- applied dualism to justify fundamentalist
religious practices. I'm only proposing we discuss the non-religious aspects of
dualism.

This could a toughie! Any takers??

MOQ Online - http://www.moq.org